All My Other Stuff

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Still That Girl

 You know what one of the strangest things about growing up is? Time travel.

Time is flying.  Rapidly!  But it sure didn't fly when we were kids.  Christmas and our Birthdays always seemed decades apart. We would make paper chains and special calender countdowns to help us pass the time.  Confession: Our 5 year old, Ryleigh, is trying to keep up with a paper chain countdown for Christmas and I can't keep up with it.  I am always having to take 2-3 chains off because time gets away from me. Dang.

Vacations, Holidays, and raising children pass us by in what feels like a blink of an eye.

Our oldest daughter, Cassity turns 11 next month. It is incredibly hard for my head to wrap around that.  Next fall,
I will have a daughter who is old enough to be in Junior High!!!

Holy Time Travel, Batman!

I vividly remember my 11th Birthday. Picture it!  November 7, 1991  My mom let me stay home from school (5th grade) and we went shopping.  I was a child trapped in a woman's body back then, I "matured" early and so I wore women's clothing.  I bought 2 sweaters that included shoulder pads, a dicky,  and stirrup pants.  That was also the day that Magic Johnson announced he was HIV Positive. (Talk about a Birthday Buzz kill!)

I am beginning to think that time doesn't wait for us.

I have so much I want to do!  I don't even know where to begin!  I used to have all these dreams and plans for myself and to be fair, I am living most of those dreams out (Mom, Check! Wife, Check! College Graduate, check!)
but there are some plans I made when I was young that I have suppressed-perhaps, even let die, because I just feel like there isn't enough time.

I joke about how my head is in the clouds and always dreaming.  Most of my ambition to do big things come from when I was younger and thought I had the world on a silver platter.  That was then and this is now.  Now I am in my 30's, chubby, aging, stressed, lazy, and walk with a limp. I am tired.  I am bruised.  I just want to lay on the couch and watch New Girl on Netflix.
I have written myself off and in doing so, I have written off all the hopes and plans I had when I was young.

WHY? Why do I do that?  Why do YOU do that?

So what? We had a couple of kids and got old, fat and  now we drive a mini van that smells like a 2 month old Happy Meal!
....none of that means we should put a nail in our coffin!
WE ARE NOT DEAD YET!

Let's make a plan, me and you.

What can we start doing TODAY that will ignite the old firey passions in our hearts that once were?

Baby steps.

You're Still that Girl. (Britt Nicole)

 Who's that Girl? It's Les!

 

















No comments:

Post a Comment