All My Other Stuff

Monday, January 26, 2015

In Color Part 2

I took this picture standing outside the Museum at Utah Beach.  Papaw marched off the boat and straight down this road through a town called Sainte Marie Du Mont.

**Remember: Papaw did not come to Utah Beach until 60 days AFTER D-Day.









Two years ago, when my parents first toured this area with a guide, they were surprised to have learned that they would be presented with 
 a certificate from the mayor proclaiming Papaw Bill a Citizen of Sainte Marie du Mont, France. (Is it me, or does the mayor look 15 years old?)

This is my dad Bill Black (Junior) accepting signed document of honorary citizenship on behalf of his dad, Sgt. William Black












Accompanying medallion with inscription of "In Recognition Of Your Duty"
We did not spend a lot of time here during our trip, however, I was fascinated with the church in the center of town.  It was so old!   I trailed off from our group and took pictures of the architecture and history that must be soaked into those walls. (That is, until my phone died.  My battery lived at 20% charged the entire time we were in Europe. It became the family joke.  More on that kind of stuff
later..)
During the early hours of June 6th (D-Day), American paratroopers dropped in behind enemy lines in and around this village, with the objective of securing key targets prior to the allied beach landings. Although elements of the 501st and 506th Airborne were scattered all over the area after the parachute drop, General Taylor regrouped the men and took the Germans by surprise. The village was under allied control later that afternoon.

I kept wondering if these walls could speak-what would they say!  As it turns out-the walls did speak! ...well, kind of!

Throughout this tiny village, there are wall plaques that describe the events of that fateful day. Around every corner, there is a story that depicts the heroics of those brave men of the Airborne Divisions.


Something that I found interesting was that this gigantic and beautiful church almost seemed out of place for such a little village. I read that the bell tower was utilized  by the Germans during the war as an observation point. 
***For fans of Band of Brothers, you will remember in the second episode, "The Day of Day's", Richard Winters mentioning this famous part of France. In the final scenes of this episode, soldiers from Easy Company are eating and resting in the back of trucks. Winters looks out and views the allied and German battles raging in the distance and declares: "at the end of the war, I will find a piece of land and live the rest of my life in peace".


Most of you did not know my Papaw so I am trying to paint a picture of who he was to me, at the end of each of my posts.

Today, I remembered one summer day as a kid, sitting under the tree with Papaw and him teaching us this song. Occasionally it will pop in my head and will remind me of dancing around that little yard in Eastern Kentucky singing with my Papaw.

Someday Touched Me




No comments:

Post a Comment