All My Other Stuff

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Tuesdays with @Ouiser

Tuesday Morning
(Before The Orange Conference)



Something that I noticed right out of the gate was that nobody that works for rethink is "above" working hard and getting stuff done!  I guess that in all the years that I have attended the conference, I had imagined that the "faces" simply showed up an hour before they were needed, enjoyed some kind of VIP meal, did their thing and went home.

I am here to tell you, that one of the very first persons I saw  was a key orange thinker, (who was about to release his first book) on the floor..putting together shelves for the Orange Store.  As I looked around, it occurred to me that it wasn't just "him,"  it was all of them!  I saw countless orange leaders that I have admired from afar, check their egos at the door unloading trucks, wrapping packages in bubble wrap, and asking where they could jump in and help. 


There was no one that seemed too "important" to do any task! Not only were they working together but they looked like they were having fun!

 It did my heart some good to see this happen-that there was a team out there that actually works as a team and not as a "posistional pyramid."

As I stood and wrapped coffee cups in bubble wrap, I was lost in what was going on around me.  I was asking questions and taking mental notes.  I was watching something that had fueled and refueled my passion for the next generation-come alive in front of my eyes.



At lunch, I followed my friend down to the ground level and had lunch with all the reThinkers.  I sat quietly, eating my bbq sandwich, my eyes couldn't look at everything fast enough. I was in awe of all the Orange Leader "Rock Stars" around me.  One after one, they stood in line to have lunch and  most importantly, sit only an arms reach from me.



I was sitting among people who have lead me (without knowing me) for the last 8 years-they could have never known the impact that the hard work that they put in everyday, has influenced who I am as a leader, as a friend, as a mother, and as a wife. 



They all just sat there, laughing, talking, and eating coleslaw and bbq as if they were normal people, just like me.

psh..


Go figure!


Everyone I met was kind and happy to meet me.  I didn't feel like a "hastle" but instead, I felt like I was their friend.
I was encouraged and inspired by the servant leadership that I personally witnessed in only a few hours.   I have a new found (if it is possible) respect and loyalty to these leaders-mainly because they put their money where their mouth is-and practice what they preach.

...and I got all of this within a 2 hour time frame!  There is still so much more to share!  Come back tomorrow for my own personal Jon Acuff story!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment