All My Other Stuff

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Preface:


So in 2005 we were attending a church in Indianapolis and one Sunday after church there was this booth set up in our lobby.  There was a table with a sign that said "THINK ORANGE" with red, yellow, and orange construction paper circles cut out and hanging from  drop ceiling. I walked straight over and asked what "THINK ORANGE" meant.

The volunteer at the booth recited a simple strategy that has influenced my life's direction ever since.




She said: "Well when you COMBINE yellow and red you get orange and we think that in Children's ministry, when yellow (the church) and red (the family) work together, we make orange (kids.)"



It was like my whole life made sense!



I signed up to lead the 1st grade girls small group and went on my merry way.

Through this time, I decided to go back to college and get my degree in ministry and in doing so, I found out about a church across town, that could be in need of leadership in the Children's Ministry department... and so began my internship as a Children's Ministry Director.



 I googled "Think Orange" regularly.  I was craving more information about this strategy.  I called Children's Pastors and asked what they knew.  I watched as this company,
The reThink Group evolved.  I bought the curriculum with my own money, I read the books, I listened to the podcasts, I purchased the training videos, I trained my team, I pitched the vision...and in 2008, I heard about The Orange Conference in Atlanta, GA.

By attending this conference, I  have grown in my own leadership and have been challenged in how we should lead the next generation. Ask anyone who knows me, and they we will tell you, I am all in!  I have spent the last 8 years attending The Orange Conference and have never walked away from it disappointed.



Like, ever.



This year, through a "Hustle" assignment lead by Jon Acuff,  I mustered up the courage to make a large request. Working for The reThink Group would be a dream come true.  With Jon's push,  I identified someone with whom I had a connection at "Orange" and asked if there was any way that I could spend this year's conference watching how it all worked. From set up to tear down and all that was in between.

I hit send on the email and held my breath....

and wouldn't you know it, she came back with an offer to "shadow" her throughout the conference and take it all in!


Over the next few days, I will be recounting my time and the things I learned along the way.

#hustle

No comments:

Post a Comment