All My Other Stuff

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

#gamechanger



A few years ago, when my younger brother was still in college, he very confidently announced, "Businesses have to stay relevant or die."  I had no real idea what he meant and asked him to explain and he said, "It's simple, you don't see anyone opening new pager companies these days...."

HA! Got it.

I have a lot of friends who are very leery of social media.  All this talk of Facebook and Twitter does not appeal to them.  They say things like "I don't have a twitter account, all that stuff just isn't for me."

That's fine, I guess.  I am sure that back when cars were invented people were saying the same thing.

"I don't know about all this automobile stuff...it's just not for me, I am gonna stick with riding my horse to work." 

"This cellular phone fad is just not for me" 

"I don't know what the big fuss over televisions are, it's just not for me..."

I wonder how long that lasted for them?  I think we know how that story ends.

The truth is, you don't have to embrace social  media, but the world is gonna move on without you.

Churches need to embrace that thought.

Sure, being the church means being present and connecting on a personal level.  I am not downplaying the power of face to face interaction, at all!  We need it more than ever!

..but after seeing this video, I think that means that this is a BOTH/AND scenario.

As church leaders, we tend to think that it's EITHER/OR issue when really, there is a third option.  Its not EITHER personal OR viral... its BOTH/AND.

Being relevant means we are helping others solve a problem. 

What are we helping solve by resisting social media?

The truth is, the church has a message of HOPE to share. When we embrace social media as part of our culture, HOPE GOES VIRAL.

Could this be "THE WELL" of our time?

Churches, we  can either stay relevant or die.

IT Matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment