All My Other Stuff

Friday, November 21, 2014

Whinnie The Pooh Backpack and College

I grew up with what I believe we could now, safely call learning disabilities.

I was a poor reader as a child, I  was always in lowest level reading group.  I could read, I just could not comprehend anything that I read.  Although I was never diagnosed as a child, I am confident I also struggled with attention deficit issues.  (...and still do.)

I loved classes like art and music.  I also really enjoyed assignments that required creativity and gave us the freedom to choose a topic to write about.  Most of my school days were spent with my head in the clouds, daydreaming or doodling as my teacher would be teaching the rest of my class.

 If tutoring was offered, I was there.  In high school, I am convinced that I passed algebra because we were given bonus points for attending tutoring.  I attended both before and after school tutoring every single day.  I passed math classes by accumulating those bonus points.


I dropped out of college  the start of my junior year and went to beauty school.  Before you start singing "Beauty School Dropout," you should know that I did complete the 1500 hours required by the state of Indiana and passed the State Board and am officially a licenced cosmetologist.

My early 20's were spent mothering my babies as a stay at home mom.  I had our first child when I was 23 and our second, when I was 25.  It was shortly after our second child was born that I felt inspired to finish my degree.

So, at 25 years old, I decided to go back to college.

Before I go any further, I want to share that while I was in college, there was an older "Adult Ed" student in some of my classes and she would walk around campus going to her classes with a Whinnie The Pooh backpack on wheels.

This was my picture of what it looked like to be an Adult Ed-Non Traditional College student.

I was worried that I would be perceived as the old woman with the Whinnie The Pooh backpack and that paralyzed me for some time.  I was ( and still am) very self conscience of what others think of me.

Fear runs my life... a lot.

I say all of this because I know there are some of you that might be quietly wishing you could change careers or go back to college but feel like it's' too late for you. 

You, also, don't want to be linked with the Whinnie The Pooh backpack.

I get it!

I just want you to know that as long as you have breath in those lungs, it is not too late for you!  We have an incredible opportunity afforded to us in technology.  We can go to school online and do class work on our own time, freeing up time so that we can juggle homework with raising our children and working full time jobs.

In fact, I turned in a final THE DAY our youngest child was born!

Growing up, I never thought I would be a college graduate.  It never occurred to me that it would be something that I could achieve. 

What I have learned is that though I was not ready for college as a traditional student, I was able to excel as a non traditional student.  I don't know if it was because I needed time to grow up or if I finally realized what was holding me back, but I did it!

The pride that I feel in accomplishing my degree in the middle of raising children is more gratifying than any actual job that will follow.

I did it! 

So can you.


GO!

No comments:

Post a Comment