All My Other Stuff

Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Fan Girl

You guys.. I am a fan girl. I am a 35 year old fan girl. There is this writer who is my age, lives in Nashville, writes amazing books and can speak to audiences in such a way that you actually feel like you are best friends with her.  I adore her!  Her name is Annie F. Downs and YOU should read everything she writes.
Period.

Her most recent book is called "Looking For Lovely" and I just finished it last week. (In one day) Go! Order it! Read it!


Recently, I found a talk that she gave for Q Women about our having 1 calling for our life that can have many different ways to express it.  You can watch it HERE. (It's 10 minutes. DO IT!)





Annie challenges all of us to figure out what our life's thesis statement is.


Thesis Statement: a brief introduction of your topic, you state your point of view on the topic directly and often in one sentence. This sentence is the thesis statement, and it serves as a summary of the argument you'll make in the rest of your paper.

Annie was an elementary school teacher for several years after college and she loved it!  Later, she was asked to help write curriculum and speak to her church's youth group and discovered she loved it and dreamed writing and speaking professionally-full time!  Like... quit her job as a teacher and go for it!

She talks about how though teaching elementary school and writing and speaking aren't exactly the same-they have one thing in common- Her.  

How do those pieces fit?  Well she discovered that she really only had one calling-one thesis statement and that was to entertain people long enough until they learn something.

1 calling, many different expressions.


This made me wonder what my thesis statement was because I have done a lot of different things!

I am licensed to do hair,  I am a mom, I love kids, I have lead ministry teams, I write blogs, I lead leaders

What do any of these really have in common? 

Well, ME!  They have me in common!  I think my thesis statement is: 

Relate with people with humor and real life stories so they feel like they can chase their dreams.

That seems to be what I have always done..in some way, shape or form.

I wonder what your thesis statement is? Maybe you won't know right away! That's ok!  Think about it!

I want to hear from you!  

GO!


3 comments:

  1. Okay,first, I loved this. I think my thesis statement is pretty simple. I was made to hold the flashlight. I'm supposed to hold enough light (it's not mine, I just hold it) so others can safely look around in the dark and see things in a new or different way. Counseling and teaching have been the way those things have manifested so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see that in you Mandi! You have always been that way! I remember that new girl who moved into Martin Hall 2nd semester who was always full of wisdom and love light! Keep on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is totally your thesis statement! And I think you could add "...and help them get their entire life in order."

    ReplyDelete