All My Other Stuff

Saturday, March 10, 2012

What I learned about leadership by packing a diaper bag..


When our kids were babies and we would leave them with a babysitter, I wanted to make sure that the babysitter felt like she had EVERYTHING she needed to have a smooth couple of hours with my kids.

1. Because I wanted her to WANT to watch them again...
and
2. Because I wanted make sure my kids had everything they needed while I was away from them.

Have you ever noticed what kind of thought process goes into packing a diaper bag?

Anticipation is the name of the game.

It's not just about diapers and wipes, it is a well oiled system that takes planning.

There is so much to consider!  Where are you going? Who will be there?  How many bottles will you need? How much formula? What if there is an accident and need a changed of clothes?  What if it gets cold?  What if he/she gets a fever? Should you pack an extra passy?

It can be exhausting...and you haven't even left your house yet!

I want the person who is watching our kids to feel we have given them plenty of resources and information about our kids, so that the time they spend with our kiddos run as smoothly as possible.


Think about those you lead.

Do they have EVERYTHING they need?  Do anticipate what they MIGHT need to do their jobs successfully?  Does your team feel like they can function without you? 

Just like a mom will do anything to make sure the babysitter WANTS to watch their kids again, I think a leader should make sure that being on their team is so great, that they WANT to stay on your team! (...or better yet, they actually LOVE being on your team!)

Don't be confused, I am NOT saying a leader should DO EVERYTHING for their team, I am saying they should DO EVERYTHING TO EQUIP THEM!  EMPOWER THEM!

In leadership, it is the duty of the leader to do everything possible to see that their team feels as though  they have been trained, equipped, and empowered to do their jobs, not only when the leader is around, but also, when the leader is away! 




"Failure to prepare is preparing to fail." -John Wooden



#anticipate #prepare #empower  #lead

No comments:

Post a Comment