All My Other Stuff

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Oh no she didn't!


Last Summer, God locked my reading in the Bible to the book of James.  I read it over and over.  I was in a friendship crisis and felt as though I had nobody to turn to. My whole world was crumbling around me and there was nothing I could do to stop it. 
To be clear, I was NOT innocent in any of this-I spoke out of turn and said things that I shouldn't have. I wish there was a "do-over" button, but there isn't! The good news is, that I may not be able to do it over, but I do have the chance to learn from my mistakes and no repeat it again!
Something I read in James chapter 3 about controlling our tongues is this:

When our speech is motivated by Satan it is full of: bitter jealousy, selfish ambition, earthly concerns, unspiritual thoughts and ideas.

When our speech is motivated by Godly wisdom it is motivated by: purity, peace, consideration of others, submission, mercy, sincerity, immortality and goodness.


The truth is, no matter how flat you make a pancake, it still has 2 sides. It is very difficult to see guilt in the mirror! I am embarressed to say that has been true for me.

Perry Noble, Pastor of NewSpring Church in Anderson, South Carolina said it best:

"Some people don't want to talk TO you, they just want to talk ABOUT you."

It is a heck of a lot easier to talk ABOUT someone than TO them!  Nobody really enjoys conflict but we do like when people see "our side."

What if we could all push a pause button before we spoke an asked ourselves what our motive was?

Would it be worth it to say it?  If we could think all the consequences of what we say all the way through, you will still say it?

There is a difference in how we react and how we respond... reacting doesn't think-responding does!

No comments:

Post a Comment