All My Other Stuff

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Open Letter To My Daughters

Dear Cassity and Ryleigh,

I was thinking the other day, that this is the one and only school year that the two of you will be in the same school together.  Time sure does fly! This year is the first year that the three of my kids are all in school and not at home and it seems we are all turning pages in the chapters of our lives!

I wanted to write down some of my hopes for you as you continue to grow and grow and grow...

I hope along the way, that you notice all the people that your dad and I have put in your life ON PURPOSE that point you to God..  seeing that a relationship with Jesus isn't about being forced on you, but because so many people in your life demonstrated God's love to you over the years that you are also inspired to follow Him and be His friend forever. You see, I believe, that God is in the helpers.





I hope you practice playing second fiddle, always taking the posture that someone else should go first.     I hope it never matters to you who gets the credit if it means that your team works together and gets stuff done!  The world does not revolve around you and the sooner you can learn that, the better you will be! If God is in the helpers, then I hope you help!



I hope that you always love laughing.  I hope that you are always eager to see that funny movie, go see a comedian, read that new funny book and better yet find the humor in the boring everyday stuff. It will serve you so well, to NOT take yourself so serious and enjoy a good hearty belly laugh as often as you can!


I hope that you have lots of friends. Funny friends, smart friends, adventurous friends, compassionate friends and friends that challenge you!  I hope that you can learn to be friends with people who don't believe what you believe, look like you look, or speak like you-because, after all, being unique is finding out more about others so you can know more about yourself.




I hope you are always self aware and practice knowing your place in every situation!  I hope you know when its time to speak up and when its time to keep your big mouth shut.  I hope you know when it's time to apologize and when it's time to forgive.  I hope you can see when you are being prideful and selfish then make a U turn and go the opposite direction. I hope you always know when it's time to stay and time to go.

Dating is just practice for marriage.  Choose wisely! I hope that you only date those who want the very best for you and put you first.  I hope that you do the same for those that you date.  Put him first. A healthy relationship is when two people want the other to go first.  You can control who you date but you can not control who you fall in love with.  Marry the best of the best! NO SETTLING!  Being single and happy is much better than being married and miserable. Like, for real.









Keep secrets. Be trustworthy.

Travel! Learn to speak a different language!

Save up money for something!

Be generous and know the difference in a NEED and a WANT.

Sing really loud in your car and in the shower, I have found that we sound best at those times!

Take risks but be accountable!

Be responsible-show you can be trusted with what is expected of you.

Practice patience.  Waiting until later for something you want now.

Respect others-showing them how valuable they are by what you say and do.

Take initiative -notice what needs to be done and for all that is good and holy.... DO IT!

Leave things better than you found it.

Take a vacation together-the two of you, sisters, as often as you can!  Learn from each other.  Talk about how annoying your mom is...beg each other to NEVER let each other turn out like me...and then laugh hysterically when you do things that are just like me.





I am okay with it, in fact, I encourage it!  If I can raise the two of you to be better than myself...then I think I have done my job.

Do the same IN your children.

Inheritance is what you leave FOR your children...and legacy is what you leave IN them.




I love you girls!

Mom


Currently Listening To: Legacy By Nicole Nordeman

***Letter to Jared (my son) to come...







1 comment: