All My Other Stuff

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Take a Seat, Virginia!

Question: what would you call a book-a memoir really, based on your life?  I have been thinking about this for a while.

Most of them are titles or lyrics of Top 40 Hits...

Shake It Off: A Story of One Mom's Hunt For a Clean Towel

All About That Base: My Life As A Cheerleader

Hide And Watch: A Mom's Courage to Leave the House Wearing That

Smoother Than a Fresh Jar of Jiffy: Tales of the Lunchbox 

Heartbeat Song: A  Mother's Sonnet of Anxiety




I don't lead a life any more unique than you-in fact, I am positive that if there were to write a book about my everyday life that the Forward would be written by Homer Simpson.


No really, that is why writing a blog is excruciatingly difficult for me.  Think about it..

I write random thoughts about my life's passions and everyday stories in hopes that YOU will read it... AND!  not only enjoy it but also come back and read something else random that I thought up while I was vacuuming or folding laundry.

See, my mind doesn't stop.  What most of my teacher's suspected was ADHD when I was growing up, has actually become an adult mind that is in a constant unrested daydream...

I am always looking for something to write about that you might be entertained by.

I take pictures of situations my kids get themselves into and am always making notes on my iPhone so that my hyperactive brain won't forget in the next minutes. (I have self diagnosed myself with a short attention span.)  I am always going over my life's stories  and strategically planning the words I could use to make it as maximum funny as I can.


And then.....  Fear Shows up.

Fear is constantly whispering in my ear (in what I imagine to be a very female southern raspy-smoker voice)

WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE!!?!?


I  hear her voice so often, that I should name her!  I will name her Virginia.

My mamaw had a friend named Virginia who lived down the street. Virginia was hateful and mean and always had something to gripe about.  Us grandkids didn't like her and would hide when she came by the  house.   She drove a big light blue "hoopty" car and once, when we were playing outside my sister (age 4 or 5) threw a rock at her as she drove by.

She stopped the car and got out!  It was like my whole life flashed before my 7 year old eyes and because it was the late 1980s, I would like to make this scene more colorful and say that "Africa" by Toto was playing gently in a car passing by.

Virginia marched us all into Mamaw's house and told on us.  Then stomped out.  We didn't get in trouble....I think that secretly, Mamaw hated her too!


So... Virginia it is!

"Virginia"  (the southern raspy-smoker voice in my head that reminds me of my inadequacies) is my fear.

My fear of not being good enough.  My fear that YOU might think I am a terrible writer and have nothing good to say!  That YOU might have formed a group on Facebook based on your annoyance that I write a blog.

We all have those fears.... your fear won't be named Virginia...and they won't be about writing or blogging... but!  YOU know what it is for you.

 You know, what fear whispers to you just when you think you have mustered up enough courage to do something you have always wanted to do!


I say, do it anyway!  We are not dead yet!  Go and do your thang! Throw a big ol' rock at it's car!



So I say, kindly take a seat, Virginia- because all you are is a liar, an pathetic, and alone in life, and mean.. and mean... and mean.....and mean!





Currently Listening to "MEAN" by Taylor Swift



No comments:

Post a Comment