All My Other Stuff

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Responsibility

This month, my friends at 252 Basics are talking about RESPONSIBILITY!  We are lucky enough to attend a church that partners with ORANGE, which means The Galema Kids are talking about RESPONSIBILITY at church and home!




Sometimes I truly believe I am raising the most lazy human beings on the face of this planet.  To protect the guilty, I will leave names unmentioned, but I have one child who likes to hide their trash under our couch, one that never seems to flush the toilet and another that will sit on top of a pile of freshly folded laundry rather than actually take it to their room and put it away.

Those are the moments are when I feel like I am failing them.

I imagine that they will be starring in an episode of "HOARDERS: Buried Alive" in 15 years with their 64 cats, 22 birds, while collecting a 52 pound ball of dog hair that they are somehow emotionally attached to-blaming me for their lack of responsibility.


Now that my kids are school aged, I am seeing that more than ever, it is our responsibility to teach them to be adults.  As much as I want to clean up after them, I know that I will not follow them to college and cleaning their dorm rooms.  I also have to be willing to let them do it their way.

I am usually having an inner conversation with myself about choosing my battles.  

"What is the point, Leslie?  That they clean their rooms or that they clean their rooms YOUR WAY?"


I also know that my kids are watching me.  I can tell them to clean their rooms, flush the toilet, throw away their trash, and put away their clothes-but if I don't do what I am responsible for, then they can't hear my words because my actions are so loud, they can't hear what I say.


Responsibility is showing you can be trusted with what is expected of you.  

This parenting thing is not for the weary! (Although I am weary 65% of the time!) 

Teaching our children responsibility starts with us.

Crap.

Let's GO!

Currently Listening to:









No comments:

Post a Comment