All My Other Stuff

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

This Is Today..




(This is not my picture, I do not own it.)


I have grown up watching The Today Show.  I remember Jane Pauley, Bryant Gumble, Matt Lauer, Katie Couric, Ann Curry, Willard Scott, Al Roker, and the whole he-haw gang that have followed.  

Over the last year, I have been watching how The Today Show has been transforming how they do the news.  It is my understanding that ratings have been down and they are trying some new approaches to grow their audience.

I have noticed these 3 things.

1. ENVIRONMENT. They changed the entire set- what use to be a more library feel,is now a modern and colorful stage, with several elements.  The big  window, where fans stand out and wave at people back home.  The new "Orange Room" that is made especially to catch up on social media buzz with one time time host of MTV's TRL (Total Request Live) Carson Daly.  

2. AUTHENTICITY/CONNECTION. The broadcasters engage with each other, with the viewing audience, and with the crowd outside differently than they have in the past.  I have noticed that everyone seems to be less uptight and rehearsed.  Each person on the show seems to have a refreshing authenticity about them. Each, having their own personality and style.  They seem like real life people instead of robotic talking heads.
They laugh!  They are willing to do things that they aren't comfortable doing- they talk about their personal lives such as weddings, marriage, parenting, pregnancy, childhood memories, personal experiences that we, the viewer can relate with!

I trust them more knowing that they are everyday people like you and I.


3. FIRST IMPRESSION. 

 Listen, as I type this, I am wearing a sweatshirt that has survived at least 2 of my pregnancies.  Its old, stretched out and ugly.  I have no reason to judge how anyone dresses, but I can tell you that, I will connect to someone wearing fashionable trendy clothing over someone wearing a suit.  

Every single time.

As church leaders of the next generation, there is something that we can learn from watching how The Today Show is rebranding.  They are trying to reach a new generation.  They see that our generation has razor sharp "fake indicators."    We are craving authenticity.  We want to learn and grow from hearing other's stories.  We want to know that we are all just people and none of us actually know what we are doing.

Researchers show that somewhere between 60-80% of my generation has left the church.

I believe it.

....and I love the church.

We/they left because we/they are sick and tired of legalism and fake people.  This generation sees that the church is swarming with those kind of people.


The church is losing their audience.

But, hey! I think there is good news! Aren't WE the church?   The church isn't a building-the church  is people!  

Buildings can't make changes and pick up their crosses and carry it with them daily!  Buildings can't be  the hands and feet of Jesus...but people can!

Can we make church a place where un churched people like to come to?

Is it worth it? (the answer is yes.)

It is not about our personal preference.  It's about our hands and feet reaching out to those who haven't heard, haven't seen, haven't tasted the good news of Jesus!

To those of us who are already followers of Jesus: it's our responsibility to grow OURSELVES.
 Jesus didn't say
"Hey, those of you that are in this with me, all you need to do is go to church on Sunday, sing songs  that you prefer, drink coffee, eat cookies, dress up and only hang out with other Christians. It will be like a fun social club! Oh! ...and  make people who don't believe in me, feel really uncomfortable when they visit your church. Your only job is to be comfortable until you die."


Instead he said GO!  GO tell people!  He even showed us how!  Jesus  never sat around and waited for people to come to him, Jesus went to them! Jesus knew that people connect best with stories and so he told them RELEVANT stories that they could relate to.

If  He were here today, I believe Jesus would take a look around the community that he was in, and figure out the best way to relate to those people-then he would do it.

Case and point: THE WELL 


How do we do that? Well, it's not going to be by the way we did in the past.

(Insert the definition of insanity here.)

I think that we start by removing our preferences and creating a place that is not intimidating and doesn't feel like a funeral home.


Lastly, the one thing I notice the most about The Today Show transformation is that their message is still the same.  They are still giving us the news...  they have just packaged it differently.

We need to carry the next generation on our shoulders and cheer them on!  Make banners that say

"GO do whatever you need to do to tell others about Jesus!  We support you!"  

It's worth it.

It's not about me-or you.
Steal my show.




















No comments:

Post a Comment