All My Other Stuff

Monday, September 15, 2014

I'm Not Who I Was

 There is an age old proverb about self awareness that goes:

 


We have all known someone that refuses to see their actions as wrong or selfish-at least in the moment. It is as if the world really does revolve around them-it's their world and we are just living in it.

I think it is safer to play the victim than be guilty of acting a fool.  Being the victim to life's circumstances is like laying on the couch in your sweats, wrapped in a warm blanket, watching football.  It's  oh so comfortable .....I can almost smell the chilli cookin' on the stove.  

Speaking of football, Graham Gano, Kicker for the North Carolina Panthers, wanted to show us all what it is it like to be an entitled victim during his warm up time a couple of weeks ago:

(For those of you reading from your phone and can not see this video click HERE )







Thanks, Graham. Got it.

Wonder what Graham was thinking as he took the field to warm up?  I know what he was thinking, because I have had similar thoughts in my own life's circumstances:

"They are in my way!  I have to warm up! This is MINE! I never get to __________ because _________________.   ME! ME! ME!   I! I! I!"


His own voice was so loud in his head that he could not see anything else around him.  (Or, in his case, he couldn't hear the trombone that was literally playing in his ear.)


I wonder how many times, I have done this in my own life?  How many times I have been so fed up with my circumstances, that I could not see what was happening on the field because I was blinded by my own intentions?

How many times have I shoved a trombone player out of my way so that I could, once and for all, have my own well deserved moment on the field?

Chances are, after seeing it played over and over and over on national television, this guy is humiliated.  He may never live this one down.  Lucky for us, we are not public figures and we do not have to live the agony of late night talk show hosts making fun of our moments of self indulgence and temper tantrums.


 I have been Graham Gano many, many times in my day and can not promise that I won't again.. but I can promise that I will always try to see my self and how my actions will reflect who I say I am.

Do my actions match my words ..or do they scream:  "YOU OWE ME!"

I hope that  I  can live a life that proves that I am not who I was.











No comments:

Post a Comment