All My Other Stuff

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Pitts Off!


When I was a kid there was this segment  on a AM  radio station hosted by an older redneck-oppionated type of guy named "Earl Pitts." (He referred to himself as a native-American redneck) Earl Pitts would spend 15-20 minutes on a rant on the topic of something that "made him sick" about today's society.  In fact, he always started his rant with


"You know what makes me sick!? You know what makes me so angry!?

....and then on with whatever he wanted to say that day.

It's funny, as I get older, I find myself turning into Ol' Earl.

Stuff is starting to make me sick and angry! So I thought that occasionally I would write an "Earl Pitts"  post.  You will know it an Earl Pitts post because I will start it with

"You know what makes me sick!?"

So....



You know what makes me sick!? You know what makes me so angry!?

Grown ups who don't grow up.... and do not have to.

I look around and see so many of my peers living the high life! They go on lavish vacations, buy their children designer tennis shoes every other month, drive the newest mini van, go to Disney like its the local city park, dine at fine restaurants, live in the most high end neighborhoods, and own the most recent and up to date tech toys.


Sure! You could say "Leslie, you sound jealous!"

And I'd say... Yes you are kind of right! Here's the deal, I have this ridiculous idea that if you get to live the high life and have the finer things in life.. Your parents should not be paying your bills.

If we are actually grown ups, shouldn't we pay for our own stuff?!

I don't mean use your money to buy the fun stuff and then ask your parents to fund the major life necessities like: groceries, bills, mortgage and to financially provide for your
children's extra curricular activities.

Here's what I'm trying to say:

If you can't afford groceries and rent....then  you probably should reconsider the trip to Mauii.

Yes! I want justice!

I want everyone to pay their bills and leave their parents alone! ......and I want parents of adult children to stop enabling their behavior!!!!!!

I don't want anyone to be labeled as a "failure to launch."


If I don't get to go on vacations and drive the latest and greatest Honda mini van because I'm busy paying my bills and living within my paycheck, then it's not my parents responsibility to make sure that happens!
Just because we can't actually see the money on our credit cards that we are maxing out right and left does not mean that it's not there-piling up and making us its slave!


People! Let's live within our means!!! We are not 15 years old anymore!!!!!!!


Look at yourself in the mirror and ask yourself

"who am I fooling?"


The answer is: you.


***Disclaimer: 

Yes. Sometimes life happens and we just plain need help from our parents. You should ask for help-the difference in you and those who I am talking about is your attitude.

Do you take it and work hard to get back on track or do you take it like its owed to you?

There is a difference in gratefulness and entitlement.

Also, if you have the money in the bank to live a "finer things life" then great!!! You have earned it! You have done the hard work and your are now reaping the benefits!!! Good for you!  Also there is nothing wrong with your parents buying you things... That's called a gift.

I'm just talking about those who neglect their responsibilities (bills) to keep up with a pretend life that only makes themselves  look foolish.

It's like their very fear of how they are perceived by others, is made worse by their desperate attempt to impress.

What you fear. You create.

Stop it.


No comments:

Post a Comment