All My Other Stuff

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

So Be It.





"It's our insides that ..." | 20 life lessons from Mister Rogers | Deseret News



I used to think that you had to have an official title to lead something.

Maybe it was my own fear that made me want to hide behind a position of authority or the idea that other people's approval made it okay for me to speak with any authority.

The idea that someone's influence is based on what their title is seems
to make sense.....up until it doesn't.



There are plenty of people with titles who are leading no one.



Being a leader is like being a lady, if you have to go around telling people you are one, you aren't.
Margaret Thatcher




You see, this is my biggest fear-that I would step out on my tiny limb and attempt to do what I feel like I was made to do... and people would say:



"Who does she think she is-to speak on the authority of God's Word?"They would be right to ask!  Who DO I think I am? 

I, for one, know exactly how unqualified I am!  I know my failures and weaknesses and all the reasons pursuing what I feel is my life's calling would be much better suited
for someone with a professional title.


God has called ME AND YOU into territories that YOU AND I  do not feel worthy or qualified for.





For me, it is: Writing.  Teaching.  Developing Women Leaders.




...and I say:  "Well Isn't that precious, God.."


Doesn't God know that I have general dislike for most all people? 
Doesn't God know that I can't spell, much less write?
Doesn't God know that I almost failed 3rd grade!?
Doesn't God know that I have NO formal training in public speaking?
(This is where you insert all the things you tell yourself to keep you paralyzed by fear)




The answer  to our questions is, yes.




Jen Hatmaker, spoke about this very thing a conference I recently attended.


She said when you start to battle in your head about how unqualified you are and all the MANY reasons that YOU CAN'T do this, to think  about what you would say to one of your kids if they came to you with a vision of what they feel God is calling them to do.




What would you say?




"No!  You are not good enough!  You can't even spell!  You almost failed 3rd Grade!  You have never taught anyone anything!  You don't even like people!"




No!!!



We would encourage them!  We would be filled with pride and cheer them on!




That is what God does when his kids align themselves with what He has made them to do.




On our own we are unqualified but we serve a Savior that refines us.



Let's get brave and go do what we were made to do!




Amen-so be it.



Currently Listening to:  ELLIE HOLCOMB The Broken Beautiful

No comments:

Post a Comment