All My Other Stuff

Friday, October 31, 2014

Wake Up Dead

Anthrax. Swine Flu. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Salmonella poisoning. Terminal Brain Cancer. Mono. Melanoma.  ADHD.  SARS.

These are just some of the diseases I was once sure that I had contracted.

I also related with Dorothy Zbornak (played by Bea Arthur) in the episode of The Golden Girls when she was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue syndrome.

I was 9 years old.


Today I woke up with a cough and instantly worried  it could be Ebola.

Sometimes, before I go to sleep I will rattle off a list of symptoms that I am experiencing to Adam, just in case I wake up dead.

Yes. I have a Sick Problem.

I wonder why we tend to assume the worst case scenario? Maybe you are like me and as soon as you sneeze you assume you are dying. Maybe it's with your relationships-if a friend hasn't called you in 2 days, they must hate you and be quietly plotting your death.  Maybe it's with your circumstances-if you are in a "slump" you assume you will always be in a slump.


Why does believing the best case scenario seem so scary?

I think it's because it makes us vulnerable.

I don't know about you, but I certainly do not like to look stupid.

I don't think any of us do!!!

Is there a balance between being vulnerable and believing the best and being realistic and setting boundaries?

I think so!

I think we should trust until we are proven otherwise and then adjust our sails accordingly.

Let's stop living our life in fear and instead live a life that is based on hope and realistic expectations!

Now if you will excuse me, I need to go "webmd" symptoms of anxiety. #wink

No comments:

Post a Comment